In today’s digital age, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are becoming increasingly popular, especially with the rise of remote work. But with so many VPN services on the market, it can be challenging to determine which one to choose.
We contacted experts in the field for their feedback on what VPN features are most important and whether it’s worth buying a VPN service.
According to Ashu Singhal from Orion Networks, the most critical feature of a VPN is its ability to encrypt data. This feature is especially important when working from an unprotected home or public Wi-Fi network. Singhal recommends that all clients have a VPN service for this reason alone.
Why VPNs are Essential for Remote Workers
Jeremy Kushner, CEO of BACS Consulting Group, agrees that VPNs are essential, particularly for remote workers. He recommends VPNs for customers with employees working outside a corporate-controlled network. Given the many unknown variables associated with remote work, even a single remote employee can pose a security risk. According to Kushner, using a high-quality VPN service is one of the best ways to improve security posture. Many cybersecurity insurance carriers require remote workers to use a VPN system, or they will increase premiums or deny coverage.
So, what are the most important VPN features to consider when purchasing a VPN service? Here’s a list of critical features to look for:
- Encryption – The ability to encrypt data is the most important feature to look for in a VPN service. Encryption ensures your data remains secure, even using an unprotected Wi-Fi network.
- Server locations – A VPN service’s number of server locations can affect your browsing speed and overall experience. Look for a VPN with servers in the locations you need.
- Speed – VPNs can slow down your internet connection. Look for a VPN with fast servers that won’t affect your browsing speed.
- Logging policies – Some VPN services log user data, which can be a privacy concern. Look for a VPN with a strict no-logging policy.
- Customer support – Look for a VPN service with excellent customer support. If you encounter any issues, you want to be able to get help quickly and efficiently.
Top Home VPN Services
Several options are available if you’re in the market for a VPN service to secure your home network.
Here are the top VPN services recommended by experts:
- ExpressVPN – “ExpressVPN offers the perfect combination of speed, security, and ease of use,” says Lisa Mitchell with Progressive Computer Systems. “Their 24/7 customer support is excellent, and they have servers in over 90 countries.”
- NordVPN – “NordVPN is a great choice for those who prioritize security,” says Mitchell. “Their double VPN feature encrypts your data twice, making it nearly impossible to crack.”
- Surfshark – “Surfshark is an affordable option that doesn’t skimp on features,” says Mitchell. “They offer unlimited simultaneous connections and have servers in over 60 countries.”
- CyberGhost – “CyberGhost is a user-friendly VPN service that offers great value for the price,” says Mitchell. “Their server network is extensive, with over 6,900 servers in 90 countries.”
- Private Internet Access (PIA) – “PIA is a reliable VPN service known for its commitment to privacy,” says Mitchell. “They have a strict no-logging policy and offer advanced security features like a kill switch.”
With so many options available, choosing a VPN service that meets your specific needs is essential. Consider factors like speed, security, and server locations when selecting. With a high-quality VPN service, you can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing your online activity is secure.
In conclusion, VPNs are becoming increasingly important, particularly for remote workers. Encryption is the most crucial feature to look for in a VPN service. Additionally, server locations, speed, logging policies, and customer support are essential when choosing a VPN service. With these factors in mind, you can find a VPN service that meets your needs and ensures your online activity remains secure.