Managed information technology (IT) and break/fix services play vital roles in modern businesses, but they couldn’t be more different from one another. They both share the common goal of keeping a business’s infrastructure up and running, but the approach each takes is entirely unique.
So what’s the difference between the two?
Some of the major differences include:
- Risk: With break/fix IT, the risks are entirely on the business. If something goes wrong, it’s up to the company to find and fix the problem. With managed IT, the risks are shared between the business and the service provider.
- Efficiency: Break/fix IT can be reactive and therefore less efficient because businesses often have to wait for problems to occur before they can be fixed. Managed IT is proactive and therefore more efficient because potential problems are identified and addressed before they cause disruptions.
- Peace of mind: Managed IT services can provide peace of mind that your business’s information technology infrastructure is always in good hands. With break/fix, you never know when something is going to go wrong and you’ll need to scramble to find someone to fix it.
- Payment structure: Managed IT services are typically paid for on a monthly basis, while break/fix services are paid for on a per-incident basis and can add up quickly if you have multiple issues.
- Flexibility: Managed IT services offer a great deal of flexibility when it comes to the level of service you receive. You can tailor your managed IT package to fit the specific needs of your business. With break/fix, you’re stuck with the service that you have until something breaks and then you’re at the mercy of whoever you find to fix it.
- Helpdesk functions: Managed IT services often include helpdesk functions as part of the package. This means that you have someone to call 24/7 if you have any questions or problems with your information technology infrastructure. With break/fix, you’re on your own when it comes to figuring out how to fix a problem.
Who Needs Managed IT Services?
Managed IT services are a good fit for businesses of all sizes that rely heavily on their IT infrastructure. If you can’t afford to have downtime, or if you don’t have the in-house expertise to manage your IT infrastructure, managed IT services may be the right choice for you.
Who Needs Break/Fix Services?
Break/fix services are a good option for businesses that don’t rely heavily on their IT infrastructure or for businesses that have in-house IT staff who can manage the day-to-day maintenance of the system. Break/fix can also be a good option for businesses that are on a tight budget and can’t afford to pay for managed IT services.
Now that you know the difference between managed IT services and break/fix services and who needs each, you can make an informed decision about which type of service is right for your business. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact an information technology professional for more information.