Rude shoplifters          

Police responded at 8:02 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 8, to a convenience store in the 200 block of Broadway Avenue East after the clerks called 911 to report a shoplifter.

A few minutes prior to the call, the clerk said three suspects came into the store and began selecting merchandise.

One of the suspects went to walk out the door without paying for a bottle of 7-Up. When a clerk yelled for the suspect to pay for the drink, the suspect yelled expletives at him, refused to give the drink back and walked out the door. The clerks demanded the other two suspects leave. They put the merchandise in their hands down left.

Before leaving, the suspects got into the clerks’ faces, asking if they wanted to fight. They eventually left.

Responding officers were unable to find the suspects.

Strange encounter         

A man called 911 at 11:27 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 8, after being pepper sprayed in his car by a prowler in the parking lot of a grocery store in the 1400 block of Broadway Avenue.

The victim told police he’d parked his car in the upper parking lot of the grocery store, so he could run into the store for a few things. When he came back out to his car, he realized he’d forgotten something. He set his grocery bag in the passenger seat of his car and ran back into the store, leaving the car door unlocked. He returned to his car about two minutes later and got into the driver’s seat.

Once he sat down he realized there was a man sitting in the passenger seat. The man sprayed mace in the victim’s face, saying, “Sorry.” The suspect jumped out of the car and ran toward Harvard Avenue.

The victim said the suspect took the key fob to the parking garage of his apartment building and some of the spare change in his cup holder. He couldn’t see if anything else was missing from the car due to his impaired vision from the mace. He said the suspect may have had a lookout standing at the west entrance of the parking lot, but he couldn’t be certain.

Terrifying ex-boyfriend           

Police responded at 5:57 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 11, to an apartment building in the 300 block of East Thomas Street where neighbors were reporting a fight between three people.

Responding officers were speaking with the complainant outside when they saw the two men and a woman fighting inside.

They went inside and broke the fight up. One of the men was holding an ice pick. One of the men said he lives in the building, and the woman is his girlfriend. He and his girlfriend got into an argument and he’d asked her to leave, because she was being irrational. She called her ex-boyfriend, who showed up with an ice pick. He walked in the front door of the victim’s apartment, holding up the ice pick up, and yelled, “I just got let out for murdering someone.”

The victim stated he tried to call 911, but the suspect started punching him in the face. The fight continued out into the hallway, where the suspect continued punching the victim. The girlfriend tried to intervene but failed.

The suspect kept punching the victim, and pushed him down a flight of stairs. The fight continued until police intervened. The victim told police he’d never met the suspect before then, and there had been no physical altercation between him and his girlfriend. He had minor swelling on the left side of his face and some cuts on his fingers.

The suspect was arrested and booked into King County Jail for assault.  

AirBnB hacker           

The owner of a house in the 1200 block of East John Street called 911 at 3:06 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 10, to report a burglary.

The victim said he rents out the top floor of his house through AirBnB. That day a renter requested to stay at his AirBnB, and he messaged the renter the code to the lockbox containing the house key.

A short time later, the supposed renter contacted him and said his AirBnB account was hacked, and he was currently in London. The victim rushed home and found the key missing from the lockbox and the house’s back door standing open. He looked through the house and found nothing was missing, just the key from the lockbox.

Shattered glass           

Police responded at 8:54 p.m. Monday, Jan. 9, to a burglary at a house in the 2400 block of 19th Avenue East.

The homeowner said she’d been away at work from 11 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. When she got home she found the glass panels in the north French doors shattered.

She told police the burglar never entered the house because the French doors were deadbolted. She said it would probably cost about $2,500 to fix the doors.

Responding police searched for evidence.