If you’re in the market for a new garage door opener, there are a few things you’ll need to take into consideration. Here’s a quick rundown of what to look for so you can find the perfect opener for your home or business.
The Drive System
First, consider the type of drive system you want. There are three basic types of garage door opener drives: chain, belt and screw.
- Chain drives are the most common and most economical type of opener. They use a metal chain to lift and lower your door.
- Belt drives are quieter than chain drives, making them a good choice if you have an attached garage that shares walls with your home.
- Screw drives are the strongest and most durable type of opener. They use a threaded steel rod to lift and lower your door, making them a good choice for heavy doors or for people who live in areas with extreme temperatures.
Power You Need
Next, consider the power you need. Most garage door openers have 1/2 horsepower motors, but if you have a heavy door or live in an area with extreme temperatures, you may want to consider a 3/4 or 1 horsepower opener.
Features You Want
Finally, consider the features you want. Most garage door openers come with basic features like a light bulb and an emergency release handle, but there are also many optional features available. Some of the most popular include:
- A timer that automatically closes the door after a certain amount of time
- A keyless entry system that lets you open the door without a key
- A wireless remote control that lets you open and close the door from anywhere in your home
- An infrared sensor that prevents the door from closing if something is in the way
The Perfect Garage Door Opener
No matter what your specific needs are, there’s a garage door opener that’s perfect for you. With a little bit of research, you can find the perfect opener for your home or business.