Who Can I Sue for My Family Member’s Death

If the person you love has passed as a result of a car accident or a careless or risky workplace activity, what are your options? What are your rights as a spouse or family member? Can you file a lawsuit? 

Can I Sue for a Wrongful Death?

Yes. If someone you care about has died and another person or corporation is to blame, you can file a wrongful death claim against the offending party. There are choices available to you, and while no compensation or verdict will turn back time, filing a wrongful death lawsuit can allow you and your family to move on.

Wrongful death claims are similar to personal injury lawsuits because they attempt to rectify a wrong through a lawsuit and often entail monetary compensation. Wrongful death lawsuits can be filed by family members and can collect more than simply medical expenses and lost earnings. The following are some of the things that may be recovered in a wrongful death claim:

  • Income Loss
  • Companionship Loss
  • Children’s Education Loss
  • Guidance 
  • Counseling 
  • Funeral Costs

This is merely a partial list of the compensation that your family may be entitled to receive in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Who Could Be Responsible?

Now that you know you may sue for your loved one’s death, your next question may be, “Who can you sue?” This is largely dependent on the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s passing. Here are a few instances of who can be held responsible for your loved one’s death:

The Other Driver’s Insurance Company

If your loved one was killed in a car accident, you have the right to sue the other driver and their insurance provider for wrongful death. In these circumstances, insurance firms usually have predetermined sums that are regulated by policy restrictions.

You can request the full amount of the insurance limitations, and if they try to refuse your request, you should seek legal assistance immediately. A wrongful death lawyer will be able to assist you in obtaining this maximum amount as well as any losses that your family has had to bear.

The Company or Corporation 

If your loved one died on the job or as a result of a condition that developed while on the work and the ailment can be related to the business, you have the right to sue the corporation. Businesses are obliged to hold several forms of insurance, and your family is entitled to the maximum sums available under these policies. Remember that it was their careless and reckless behavior that resulted in the loss of your loved one. They owe everything to you and your family. If you need assistance holding a company responsible, or if the company claims that your loved one died as a result of their own activities and refuses to listen to you, you may and should contact reputable wrongful death lawyers. 

The Doctor or Hospital that Failed to Provide Proper Care

We have faith that the physicians and hospitals we visit will give our loved ones good treatment and appropriately diagnose and treat any illnesses or injuries they may have. Sadly, this is not always the case. Whether the doctor is overworked and overlooks a key symptom of a disease, or the wrong procedure is carried out on the wrong side of the body, these careless actions resulted in the loss of your loved one. 

Your family has the right to sue a medical practitioner or a hospital for negligence. You can sue if another doctor can prove that the hospital or doctor gave subpar treatment and that these activities directly resulted in your loved one’s death. A medical malpractice wrongful death claim can be complex and difficult to pursue but is doable with an experienced wrongful death attorney.