The Washington Post has removed or corrected large sections of articles in 2017 and 2019, which heavily relied upon the discredited antiTrump Steele dossier.
The news comes as another key player in the dossier’s ‘research’ has recently been arrested.
Post media reporter Paul Farhi, on a Friday afternoon in mid-November of 2021, explained the newspaper’s reasoning for making wholesale changes to reporting that had stood on their website for years, throughout much of the Donald Trump presidency.
“The Washington Post on Friday took the unusual step of correcting and removing large portions of two articles, published in March 2017 and February 2019, that had identified a Belarusian American businessman as a key source of the ‘Steele dossier,’ a collection of largely unverified reports that claimed the Russian government had compromising information about then-candidate Donald Trump,” Farhi wrote.
“The newspaper’s executive editor, Sally Buzbee, said The Post could no longer stand by the accuracy of those elements of the story,” he added.
Much of the Steele dossier was unverifiable information that major media outlets used as gospel throughout Trump’s term in office.
The Washington Post corrects, removes parts of two stories regarding the Steele dossier https://t.co/LneOvwKs6r
— The Washington Post (@washingtonpost) November 12, 2021
RELATED: Durham’s Russia Probe Nabs A Big Fish – ‘Primary’ Figure In Steele Dossier Flap Arrested
Is the Washington Post a worthy recipient of credit for correcting Steele Dossier Reports
Support Conservative Voices!
Register to Receive the LatestYour inbox receives political news and insight.
Axios published an article on Washington Post’s Steele dossier corrections and noted that Erik Wemple (its media critic) has detailed the media mistakes made by media outlets in covering the dossier.
Is the newspaper credited for this action?
The New York Times and the Washington Post, after all, were jointly awarded the Pulitzer for their 2017 coverage of Donald Trump and his alleged ties to Russian operatives duirng the 2016 presidential campaign.
They will be returning these awards. Is the Pulitzer organisation going to revoke them?
They will never, regardless of what they do, erase the false impression that for 4 years Trump’s administration was a Russian-owned asset.
It is not. It is just as corrupt as America’s media today.
“Outsized coverage of the unvetted document…helped drive a narrative of collusion between former President TRUMP & Russia.” https://t.co/ewdrqZSXPb
— Kenneth P. Vogel (@kenvogel) November 14, 2021
Reported: Clinton-Connected Lawyer Indicted for Providing FBI Trump-Russia Conspiracy Information
Media Considers the Steele Dossier
Axios remains optimistic about Axios’s possibility of a media reckoning with their misreporting on Steele.
“A reckoning is hitting news organizations for years-old coverage of the 2017 Steele dossier, after the document’s primary source was charged with lying to the FBI,” they write.
“It’s one of the most egregious journalistic errors in modern history,” they add, but “the media’s response to its own mistakes has so far been tepid.”
It was noted by the journalists that MSNBC, CNN, and others have declined to make statements about whether they intend to correct their reporting.
For his part, Wemple has publicly called out CNN who he explains, repeatedly insisted parts of the Steele dossier had been “corroborated.”
.@ErikWemple Demands that CNN Retract Claim that Steele Dossier Was Corroborated https://t.co/E80vjOBqLV
— NewsBusters (@newsbusters) November 15, 2021
“In light of the recent developments, we asked CNN if it still stands by its ‘corroboration’ reporting and, if so, to which specific parts of the dossier does that apply,” Wemple said. “We received no response.”
Do you really think that Chris Cuomo’s network and Don Lemon will finally get a head start and acknowledge their failures?
Igor Danchenko (a key figure in Steele dossier) was detained by John Durham as part of Special Counsel John Durham’s investigation into Russian collusion.
Danchenko was described by the New York Times as “the primary researcher of the so-called Steele dossier.”
Breaking News: The main researcher of the so-called Steele dossier was arrested as part of the Trump-era special counsel inquiry led by John Durham.https://t.co/jtVExbnyyT
— The New York Times (@nytimes) November 4, 2021
Details of the indictment against Igor Danchenko include his arrest on “five counts of making false statements to the FBI.”
One of the allegations includes Danchenko having made a false statement about being in contact with “a long-time participant in Democratic Party politics.”
The arrest of Igor Danchenko comes just one month after the indictment of Michael Sussmann, a lawyer that formerly represented the Democrat National Committee (DNC) and has ties to Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign.
First, your lawyer colleague (Michael Sussman) at @PerkinsCoieLLPIndicted.
The Russian analyst Igor Danchenko, who was involved in the Steele Dossier bogus, is now being charged.
The Feds are closing in.https://t.co/qyfncPVSDN
— 🇺🇸 Mike Davis 🇺🇸 (@mrddmia) November 4, 2021
Sussman had provided what was supposed to have shown evidence of secret communications between then-candidate for President Trump and Russia.
The FBI would eventually determine “those concerns had no merit,” the New York Times reported, and Sussmann was indicted on a charge of lying to the FBI when he insisted he wasn’t providing the information on behalf of any client.
The indictment stated that in reality, Sussman knew “he was acting on behalf of specific clients, namely, Tech Executive-1 and the Clinton Campaign.”
Maybe the media will start to investigate how Hillary Clinton’s campaign and former First Lady got into foreign opposition research funding. Perhaps they’ll get legitimate Pulitzer awards when they uncover the true scandal.
It is now that you can support, share, and encourage the people whom you have faith.
The Political Insider ranks #15 on Feedspot’s “Top 70 Conservative Political Blogs, Websites & Influencers in 2021.”