USS Connecticut Submarine Suffers Underwater Collision in Indo-Pacific Region

According to USNI News, the USS Connecticut (SSN-22), was involved in an underwater collision and returned to US port on October 2.

While submerged in Indo-Pacific waters, the submarine collided with an object.

The injuries were not life-threatening.

USNI News reported:

TENDINGUniversity of Colorado Hospital System denies woman’s life-saving kidney transplant; will no longer provide organ transplants for unvaccinated patients

USNI News reported that an American nuclear attack submarine was damaged while operating in international waters within the Western Pacific.

USS Connecticut, a Seawolf-class nuclear attack submarine of Nuclear Attack Class (SSN-22), suffered an underwater collision in international waters Oct. 2. She is now returning to port in U.S. 7th Fleet. This was confirmed by a U.S. Pacific Fleet spokesperson to USNI News.

“The Seawolf-class fast-attack submarine USS Connecticut (SSN-22) struck an object while submerged on the afternoon of Oct. 2, while operating in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region. The safety of the crew remains the Navy’s top priority. There are no life-threatening injuries,” Capt. USNI News was informed by Bill Clinton.

“The submarine remains in a safe and stable condition. USS Connecticut’s nuclear propulsion plant and spaces were not affected and remain fully operational. We are currently assessing the extent of damage done to the rest of the submarine. The U.S. Navy is not asking for assistance. The incident will be investigated.”

USNI News was informed by a Navy official that 11 sailors sustained moderate-to-minor injuries in the incident. Officials said that the boat, which was carrying the attacker, is currently headed towards Guam. They are expected to dock within the day.

According to the Navy, the submarine was deployed from Naval Base Kitsap–Bremerton (Wash.) on May 27, for the Pacific. Photos of the submarine in action in the Western Pacific, with stops in Japan during late July and august have been released by the service. According to the service, Adm. Karl Thomas, commander of the U.S. 7th Fleet visited the submarine in August.