Cracked head           

Police were called to the area of Summit Avenue and East Pike Street at 12:22 a.m. Monday, March 20, for an assault case.

Arriving officers found a victim bleeding from the head. He said he and his friend were walking westbound on East Pike when two suspects approached them and accused them of speaking ill of Somalians.

One of the suspects charged the victim and pushed him against a wall; the other suspect shattered a bottle over his head. Both suspects turned and ran away. Two witnesses followed the suspects and called 911 to report their location. Officers responded and stopped the suspects at Boren Avenue and Pine Street.

One of the suspects eluded police, while the other cooperated with officers. The victim was brought to the suspect’s location and said he wasn’t sure if he was the one who hit him with the bottle. The witnesses, however, told the same story as the victim and stated the subject in custody was the suspect who hit the victim with the bottle. The victim’s friend told officers the suspect had another beer bottle and had approached him with it raised over his head before running away.

The suspect was stumbling and slurring his speech, appearing to be intoxicated. He had a laceration on his left hand, apparently from a piece of glass. He was treated by Seattle Fire Department and then taken to the hospital for further treatment.

He was arrested a booked into King County Jail for assault. Officers brought the victim to a nearby hospital because medics believed he would need stitches.

Apartment dispute         

Police were called to an apartment building in the 500 block of 14th Avenue East at 1:30 a.m. Sunday, March 18, when neighbors heard a woman screaming, “Let me go.”

Responding officers heard yelling from inside the apartment when they stepped off the elevator onto the sixth floor. As they approached the door to the apartment, it flew open and a male suspect was standing inside with a bloody nose. Officers escorted him into the hallway.

The victim said the suspect is just a friend she’d been allowing to sleep on her couch. She came home today and found him rolling cigarettes on the couch after having drank half a gallon of vodka. The victim was upset the suspect was smoking inside her apartment, since she can get kicked out for that. She repeatedly told the suspect to leave, and when he refused she began moving his bags near the front door. The suspect became enraged and grabbed the victim by the throat and slammed her head against a wall. She said she felt her head bounce off the wall. She began begging the suspect to let her go. He held her by the throat for 20 to 30 seconds while she yelled for him to let her go and began feeling faint.

She punched the suspect in the nose, causing it to bleed. The suspect let go of the victim and grabbed his nose. They continued to argue until police arrived.

The suspect told police the victim did try to kick him out of her apartment, but insisted he didn’t choke her. He said she punched him in the nose for no reason. The victim had marks on her neck consistent with being choked. The suspect was arrested and booked into King County Jail for assault.

Refused entry

Police responded at 9:08 p.m. Thursday, March 16, to a 911 call in the 2900 block of East Thomas Street by a homeowner who said someone was attempting to kick in their basement door, and her husband was holding it shut.

Arriving officers spoke with the victims, who said they’d been inside the house when they went downstairs to go outside to smoke. They heard somebody trying to force the basement door open.

The husband went downstairs and held the door closed. The suspect kicked the door four times, and the husband yelled for the suspect to go away. The suspect said, “Well, okay.” The victims said nothing was stolen from the property and the door was not damaged.

Daytime burglary           

Police responded at 3:25 p.m. Thursday, March 16, to a house in the 400 block of 14th Avenue East after neighbors called to report hearing glass breaking at the house.

The 911 caller said he walked over to the house and saw a broken window on the east side and knocked on the door, but there was no response. About 15 minutes later another neighbor called 911 to report seeing two suspects exiting the house.

Responding officers found the house empty and no suspects in the area. They found a concrete block inside the kitchen window, which had apparently been thrown through the window.

The homeowner responded and walked the house with police, and reported a laptop, some jewelry and possibly some film equipment stolen from the house. Officers found some fingerprints in the house that were possibly left by the suspects.

The suspects left a pair of boxing gloves on the floor of the living room. The residents said the gloves didn’t belong to them.