Mail theft          

Police responded at 8:17 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3, to a reported burglary at an apartment building in the 700 block of East Denny Way. The building’s manager told police security cameras had captured a burglar stealing packages from the mailroom in the lobby at about 11:30 p.m. the night before. 

The suspect entered the building through the parking garage, waiting for a car to exit and sneaking in through the open gate. 

He went right to the lobby and grabbed a number of packages, brought them into the garage, opened them and rifled through their contents. 

At the time of the report the building manager wasn’t sure what, if anything, was stolen. 

Busted window           

Police responded at 11:52 p.m. Monday, Jan. 2, to an alarm break at a business in the 1100 block of Broadway Avenue East. Responding officers found a window broken out. 

The business owner responded and said one of the three iPads that were on the front counter was stolen. The iPads were visible from the front window, and likely what attracted the suspect. 

There were several items sitting in an alcove outside the building that the owner said came from inside the business. Several lost and found credit and debit cards left behind by customers and some pre-loaded gift cards were stolen. 

A basket of 25 drinking glasses was knocked onto the floor, breaking all the glasses. 

Pried mailboxes           

Management of an apartment building in the 200 block of Summit Avenue East called 911 at 12:38 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3, to report a burglary that occurred overnight. 

Responding officers were taken to the building’s mailroom, where 12 resident mailboxes had been pried open and emptied. 

The building manager stated the burglary must have happened at 2:30 a.m., as a resident reported hearing loud banging coming from the mailroom at that time. 

Officers inspected all outside doors to the building and couldn’t determine how the burglar got in. 

Garage break-in           

Police responded at 3:44 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3, to a burglary at a public parking garage in the 1100 block of Broadway Avenue East. Onsite security reported a damaged glass door on the east side of the building. 

The security guard stated the damage had happened within the last hour. He told police the suspect was likely trying to target the parking attendant booth to steal cash from the register. Some books and miscellaneous paper documents were strewn across the sidewalk and bench along the building’s east side. 

The parking attendant booth was left unsecure, but security stated no money is kept in the register overnight. The register was standing open and empty. 

Responding officers checked the building for the suspect and other damage, but found nothing.


Police responded at 4:35 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 1, to a 911 call from a woman who stated she’d been in a physical altercation with her friend, who stole her car keys and left her abandoned near the intersection of Boren Avenue and Yesler Avenue East. 

The victim said she was dropping off her friend at about 3 a.m. after a New Year’s party at Yesler Terrace. The two women got into an argument, which turned into a physical fight outside the car. The friend ripped the victim’s keys from her hand and ran off, entering her apartment. 

The victim complained of scratches on top of her hand. She gave her friend’s phone number to police, who tried calling several times with no answer. The victim said she was going to call somebody to bring her an extra set of car keys.

Computer theft           

The manager of an apartment building in the 100 block of Melrose Avenue East called 911 at 12:08 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 4, to report the theft of three laptops from the building’s computer lab. The theft happened sometime between 8 p.m. Jan. 3 and 11:30 a.m. Jan.4. 

The building manager said at about 8:30 a.m. he noticed a large water spill in the hallway outside the computer lab, leaking underneath the door. The maintenance worker went in to mop up the water at that time. The manager went to the computer lab at about 11:30 a.m. and discovered the three computers were missing. The stolen laptops were two HPs and a Toshiba. 

Police searched the computer lab and the rest of the building, finding no signs of forced entry. The computer lab is locked overnight, and it is unknown how the suspect got in. Police did notice that there were surveillance cameras all around the building and in the computer lab, and the manager said he would get copies of the camera footage to the police.